I was rather torn between doing the Jacob ram with his four horns, or one of the cockerels, or one of the goats next. I decided on the white goat.
I am not at all sure that I know how this one will work, but I’ve started with a border line. It’s as good a place as any to start. I was a bit surprised that the drawing of the goat started to look rather like a goat quite quickly.
I foolishly rushed to start cutting it – at night, with inadequate lighting – and cut more than I should have in one area. I carried on cutting for a while as I considered if I could possibly rescue it.
I tried a rubbing of it to get a better idea of whether cutting away more of the horns could work. For a while, I considered trying to make it work, and continued to work on it.
A further rubbing of the linocut made me think that it was time to give up and start again.
It was not so easy drawing the goat the second time on a fresh piece of lino.
I had another look at the first linocut and did a little more to it.
I remained undecided whether it is going to work if I cut away more. Whilst thinking about it, I carried on with version 1a – with which I also was not satisfied.
Then I continued to cut away a little more on the first one.
I returned to the second version, decided to cut away the background, and may have cut away too much in some areas. This may be the penultimate version.
I may cut off a tiny amount before I print…just a very tiny amount…
A few days later…
I have printed both and remain undecided about which is The Print.
Perhaps if I just cut into the darker area on 1, it might work ok…. Comments are welcome!