A butterfly and ragged robin

It had taken me a while to get back into the studio due to the electric press being busy when I was available. I decided to try something that should be straightforward after the last 2 sessions when most of the prints didn’t turn out as I had hoped.

I had decided some time ago to make a series of images of Ouseburn’s flora and fauna and have been gathering photos for over a year. Making linocuts of some of the Ouseburn Farm’s livestock had been the start of my venturing seriously into printmaking. For the first wild Ouseburn images, I decided to try a butterfly on blackthorn blossom and ragged robin as drypoint plates.

Inking up the ragged robin drypoint plate.

Inking up the ragged robin drypoint plate.

First attempt at printing the ragged robin in Prussian blue.

First attempt at printing the ragged robin in Prussian blue.

Butterfly on blackthorn (paper is cream, not pink as it appears here).

Butterfly on blackthorn (paper is cream, not pink as it appears here).

Printing the ragged robin in purple (mixed using blue and red ink) worked better than Prussian blue.

Printing the ragged robin in purple (mixed using blue and red ink) worked better than Prussian blue.

The prints on the drying rack.

The prints on the drying rack.

I shall try adding a little watercolour to these prints. For the next flora and fauna prints, I will try adding a second colour at the printing stage. I’m considering whether to try a relief plate after an intaglio plate, but will probably try a simpler option.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s