These plates are quite a bit bigger than anything I’ve done before. The paper is 56 x 31 cms for the male life study, 26.5 x 44.5 cms for the female study. I based them on a couple of fairly quick life studies (about 15 – 20 minutes each) I did about 5 years ago. The male life model did move during a pose & I was trying to capture that rather than compensate for it.
I tried printing on dry Japanese Kozo paper but hardly any ink was picked up. I wet the paper and quickly blotted it, and it picked up the ink second time through the press.
The other paper I used was Somerset Velvet Buff which was soaked and picked up the ink beautifully, as always. The black ink was mixed with extender to soften it a bit.
I will have a think about what to try next with these (I don’t think I’ll print the female one again – doesn’t quite work), and probably make another plate or two. I’m wondering whether to try some monoprinting with the life study plates. I should be back in the studio on Tuesday.